Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering
- Burlington Labs 2142
- View CV
Dr. Lingfeng He earned his B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering from Central South University in 2003, and a Ph.D. in Materials Science from the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2009. He then served as a postdoctoral researcher and assistant scientist at Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison, before joining Idaho National Laboratory (INL) as a staff scientist in 2014. While at INL, he progressed to the position of Distinguished Staff Scientist (Level V) and High-Resolution Materials Characterization Group Lead before joining NC State as an Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering in August 2022.
Currently, Dr. He leads the Materials In eXtremes (MIX) Lab at NC State, where his research focuses on materials behavior in radiation, corrosion, stress, and ultrahigh temperature environments. His main research areas include ceramics and composites, nuclear fuels, structural materials, spent nuclear fuels, nuclear waste forms, synthesis/manufacturing, advanced characterization, radiation effects, molten salt corrosion, oxidation, mechanical properties, and thermal properties.
Dr. He has been involved in numerous research projects, serving as the Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator for 11 Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) projects, 2 Energy Frontier Research Centers (EFRCs), 1 Basic Energy Sciences (BES) Core Program, 1 International Nuclear Energy Research Initiative (I-NERI) project, 1 Nuclear Energy University Program (NEUP) project, 1 Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) project, and 46 Nuclear Science User Facility (NSUF) Rapid Turnaround Experiments, in addition to supporting multiple DOE programs at INL. He is the top collaborator at NSUF.
As a mentor, Dr. He has guided the research of 5 postdoctoral researchers (who are now tenure-track faculty or staff scientists at INL), 4 graduate students (2 of them graduated and became staff scientists at INL), and 7 summer intern students from various universities. He has also published 132 peer-reviewed journal articles, with an H-index of 30 (according to Web of Science), 21 peer-reviewed conference proceedings, 1 book chapter, and holds 5 patents. Additionally, he serves as an ad hoc reviewer for 55 journals and proposals for NEUP, NSUF, SBIR/STTR, and LDRD at INL. He has given 51 invited/plenary talks at conferences, workshops, and university seminars and received the INL Laboratory Director’s 2020 Exceptional Scientific Achievement Award.
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Central South University, China
Dr. He focuses on studying materials behavior in extreme environments, specifically the environmental degradation of materials in nuclear power systems. His research aims to understand how processing and radiation/corrosion environments affect the microstructure, mechanical/thermal properties, and structural integrity/durability of materials and components.
- Chemical and elemental mapping of spent nuclear fuel sections by soft X-ray spectromicroscopy
- Ditter, A. S., Smiles, D. E., Lussier, D., Altman, A. B., Bachhav, M., He, L., … Shuh, D. K. (2022), Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 29(1), 67–79. https://doi.org/10.1107/S1600577521012315
- Compositionally graded specimen made by laser additive manufacturing as a high-throughput method to study radiation damages and irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking
- Yang, J., Hawkins, L., Song, M., He, L., Bachhav, M., Pan, Q., … Lou, X. (2022), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 560, 153493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2021.153493
- Comprehensive characterization of irradiation induced defects in ceria: Impact of point defects on vibrational and optical properties
- Chauhan, V. S., Ferrigno, J., Adnan, S., Pakarinen, J., He, L., Hurley, D. H., & Khafizov, M. (2022), Journal of Applied Physics. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0099189
- Dislocation loop evolution in Kr‐irradiated ThO 2
- He, L., Yao, T., Bawane, K., Jin, M., Jiang, C., Liu, X., … Khafizov, M. (2022), Journal of the American Ceramic Society. https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.18478
- Microstructural changes of proton irradiated Hastelloy-N and in situ micropillar compression testing of one single grain at different local damage levels
- Pena, M., Morell-Pacheco, A., Shiau, C.-H., Kombaiah, B., He, L., Hawkins, L., … Shao, L. (2022), Journal of Nuclear Materials. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2022.153939
- Preparation and strengthening mechanism of prestressed ceramic tile components
- Sun, Y., Wu, T., Bao, Y., Li, Y., Wan, D., Li, K., & He, L. (2022), International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijac.13757
- Sensitization, desensitization, and carbide evolution of Alloy 800H made by laser powder bed fusion
- Yang, J., Liu, X., Song, M., He, L., Bankson, S., Hamilton, M., … Lou, X. (2022), Additive Manufacturing, 50, 102547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2021.102547
- Synthesis and characterization of uranium trichloride in alkali-metal chloride media
- Herrmann, S. D., Zhao, H., Bawane, K. K., He, L., Tolman, K. R., & Pu, X. (2022), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 565, 153728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2022.153728
- Thermal Energy Transport in Oxide Nuclear Fuel
- Hurley, D. H., El-Azab, A., Bryan, M. S., Cooper, M. W. D., Dennett, C. A., Gofryk, K., … Wharry, J. P. (2022), Chemical Reviews. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.1c00262
- Unraveling small-scale defects in irradiated ThO2 using kinetic Monte Carlo simulations
- Jiang, C., He, L., Dennett, C. A., Khafizov, M., Mann, J. M., & Hurley, D. H. (2022), Scripta Materialia. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2022.114684
View all publications via NC State Libraries