Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Engineering ABET Coordinator
- Burlington Laboratory 2112
- Visit My Website
Dr. Steve Shannon works in the area of industrial applications of plasma discharges. Plasmas are currently used for everything from decorative enhancement of bathroom fixtures to fabrication of the next generation of micro- and nano- scale devices. Plasma systems for industrial applications is a multi-billion dollar industry. His research focuses on enhancing current plasma applications being used and developed today and developing new plasma applications for next generation material and device fabrication.
University of Michigan
University of Michigan
University of Michigan
Dr. Shannon's research is in the industrial applications of plasma discharges.
- Driving frequency fluctuations in pulsed capacitively coupled plasmas
- Poulose, J., Goeckner, M., Shannon, S., Coumou, D., & Overzet, L. (2017), European Physical Journal. D, Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, 71(9).
- Electron neutral collision frequency measurement with the hairpin resonator probe
- Peterson, D. J., Kraus, P., Chua, T. C., Larson, L., & Shannon, S. C. (2017), Plasma Sources Science & Technology, 26(9).
- Size dependence of nanoscale wear of silicon carbide
- Tangpatjaroen, C., Grierson, D., Shannon, S., Jakes, J. E., & Szlufarska, I. (2017), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9(2), 1929-1940.
- All the catalytic active sites of MoS2 for hydrogen evolution
- Li, G. Q., Zhang, D., Qiao, Q., Yu, Y. F., Peterson, D., Zafar, A., Kumar, R., Curtarolo, S., Hunte, F., Shannon, S., Zhu, Y. M., Yang, W. T., & Cao, L. Y. (2016), Journal of the American Chemical Society, 138(51), 16632-16638.
- A temporally and spatially resolved electron density diagnostic method for the edge plasma based on Stark broadening
- Zafar, A., Martin, E. H., Shannon, S. C., Isler, R. C., & Caughman, J. B. O. (2016), Review of Scientific Instruments, 87(11).
- Amorphization resistance of nano-engineered SiC under heavy ion irradiation
- Imada, K., Ishimaru, M., Xue, H. Z., Zhang, Y. W., Shannon, S. C., & Weber, W. J. (2016), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 478, 310-314.
- Fully coupled simulation of the plasma liquid interface and interfacial coefficient effects
- Lindsay, A. D., Graves, D. B., & Shannon, S. C. (2016), Journal of Physics. D, Applied Physics, 49(23).
- Dose dependence of helium bubble formation in nano-engineered SiC at 700 degrees C
- Chen, C. H., Zhang, Y., Wang, Y., Crespillo, M. L., Fontana, C. L., Graham, J. T., Duscher, G., Shannon, S. C., & Weber, W. J. (2016), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 472, 153-160.
- Momentum, heat, and neutral mass transport in convective atmospheric pressure plasma-liquid systems and implications for aqueous targets
- Lindsay, A., Anderson, C., Slikboer, E., Shannon, S., & Graves, D. (2015), Journal of Physics. D, Applied Physics, 48(42).
- Atomistic structures of nano-engineered SiC and radiation-induced amorphization resistance
- Imada, K., Ishimaru, M., Sato, K., Xue, H. Z., Zhang, Y. W., Shannon, S., & Weber, W. J. (2015), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 465, 433-437.
- Collaborative Research: SI2-SSE: An open source multi-physics platform to advance fundamental understanding of plasma physics and enable impactful application of plasma systems
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/17 - 8/31/19)
- Reactor Design and Effectiveness of Design in Depyrogenation Processes using Karamedica Data.
- Karamedica Inc.(2/15/17 - 9/30/17)
- Construction and Characterization of a Pulsed Gas Delivery System to Elucidate Plasma Response to Time Varying Gas Composition
- Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd.(1/23/17 - 3/31/18)
- Samsung Mechatronics Research Division Directed Research in Low Temperature Plasma Science
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - Korea(5/01/16 - 4/30/19)
- Turbulent MHD flow modeling in annular linear induction pumps with validation experiments
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/16 - 9/30/19)
- International Experiences for Students in Plasma Science: Student Travel Support to Attend the 2016 Gaseous Electronics Conference
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/16 - 2/28/17)
- Ion energy measurement in industrial plasma reactors
- Tokyo Electron America, Inc.(1/01/16 - 8/31/18)
- Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Lasers and Plasmas for Advanced Manufacturing (CLPAM), Full Membership
- Plasma-Therm(1/01/15 - 12/31/15)
- MKS C-LPAM IUCRC Full Membership - Year 1
- MKS Instruments (1/01/15 - 12/31/16)
- Proposal for Audio and Video Support for the 2014 Topical Conference on Gaseous Electronics (GEC)
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(11/01/14 - 2/28/15)