Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Head of Department of Nuclear Engineering
- Burlington Laboratory 3141
- Visit My Website
Dr. Kostadin Ivanov received a B.S. in nuclear engineering from the Moscow Institute of Power Engineering, Russia. He received his Ph.D. in reactor physics from the Institute of Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy (INRNE), Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. He was senior research scientist at INRNE and assistant professor at the Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria. Later, he was a visiting Fulbright scholar at the Nuclear Engineering Department, Pennsylvania State University (PSU) and visiting scientist at the Research Center Rossendorf Inc., Germany. Prior to joining the NC State faculty, he was a distinguished professor of nuclear engineering and graduate coordinator of nuclear engineering program at PSU.
Presently he studies the next generation stochastic and deterministic methods in reactor physics analysis and also nuclear cross-section generation and modeling. Ivanov also develops advanced methods for multi-physics coupling for design and safety applications. Another topic is the study of verification and validation methods as well as uncertainty quantification and propagation in modeling and simulations.
Institute of Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy (INRNE), Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Moscow Institute of Power Engineering, Russia
Dr. Ivanov's research interests include nuclear reactor physics and multi-physics, nuclear core design and safety analysis, nuclear plant simulations, validation and verification of multi-physics calculations, and uncertainty quantification and propagation in modeling.
- Benchmarking the real-time core model for VVER-1000 simulator application on asymmetric core load
- Georgieva, E., Dinkov, Y., & Ivanov, K. (2017), Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science, 3(3).
- OECD/NEA benchmark for time-dependent neutron transport calculations without spatial homogenization
- Hou, J., Ivanov, K. N., Boyarinov, V. F., & Fomichenko, P. A. (2017), Nuclear Engineering and Design, 317, 177–189.
- Rod internal pressure distribution and uncertainty analysis using FRAPCON
- Bratton, R. N., Jessee, M. A., Wieselquist, W. A., & Ivanov, K. N. (2017), Nuclear Technology, 197(1), 47–63.
- Advances in the Pennsylvania State University NEM code
- Thompson, S. A., & Ivanov, K. N. (2016), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 94, 251–262.
- Benchmarking the NEM real-time core model for VVER-1000 simulator application - asymmetric core
- Georgieva, E., Dinkov, Y., Ivanov, K., & Stieglitz, R. (2016), In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, 2016, vol 5.
- Coupled MCNP6/CTF code: Development, testing, and application
- Bennett, A., Avramova, M., & Ivanov, K. (2016), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 96, 1–11.
- The IAEA coordinated research programme on HTGR uncertainty analysis: Phase I status and Ex. I-1 prismatic reference results
- Bostelmann, F., Strydom, G., Reitsma, F., & Ivanov, K. (2016), Nuclear Engineering and Design, 306, 77–88.
- Development of an iterative diffusion-transport method based on MICROX-2 cross section libraries
- Hou, J., Choi, H., & Ivanov, K. (2015), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 77, 335–342.
- Assessment of MICROX-2 Code with new ENDF/B-VII.0 master library
- Hou, J., Choi, H., & Ivanov, K. (2014), Nuclear Technology, 186(3), 305–316 .
- Self-shielding models of MICROX-2 code: Review and updates
- Hou, J., Choi, H., & Ivanov, K. (2014), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 64, 256–263 .
- Joint Faculty Appointment Between Oak Ridge National Laboratory and NC State University for Dr. Igor Bolotnov)
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(2/15/19 - 9/30/19)
- Develop Educational program in VVUQ - Multiphysica
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(11/29/18 - 9/30/19)
- Multi-physics Modeling of Fast Spectrum Liquid Fuel MSRs, Consortium for Nuclear Power (CNP) Core Project - 1.
- Consortium for Nuclear Power (CNP)(7/01/18 - 6/30/19)
- Multi-physics platform for safety analysis based on NRC codes Improved estimates of local safety parameters for efficient evaluation of realistic safety margins for real-size reactor core modeling
- National Nuclear Regulator(4/01/18 - 3/31/20)
- Nuclear Energy Knowledge and Validation Center (NEKVac)
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(12/19/16 - 9/30/17)
- Faculty Development Program in Nuclear Engineering at North Carolina State University, 2017
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission(6/30/17 - 6/29/20)
- Joint Faculty Appointment Between Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and NC State University (NCSU) for Dr. David Kropaczek 2016-2017 (FY17).
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(7/01/16 - 8/05/18)
- North Carolina State Universityâ€™s Graduate Fellowship in Nuclear Engineering (NCSUâ€“GFINE) - 2016
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission(7/01/16 - 6/30/20)
- Research Activities in the field of development and coupling COBRA-TF code version for research and power reactors.
- South African Nuclear Energy Corporation SOC Ltd (NESCA)(1/01/16 - 5/31/19)
- Participation in the MPEBV efforts with the NEA
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(2/10/16 - 9/30/19)