Progress Energy Distinguished Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Director of Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program
- Burlington Laboratory 3143
I have been interested in the deformation, creep, fatigue and fracture behaviors of nuclear core and pressure boundary materials, with particular emphasis on structureproperty relationship and effects of radiation exposure. I am also interested in radiation-enhanced hydrogen transport into steels used for radioactive waste containers and the subsequent embrittlement with reference to their integrity. We are actively pursuing studies on the effects of fabrication processes on crystallographic texture and the resulting anisotropic mechanical properties of Zircaloy cladding, with application to the understanding of pellet-cladding mechanical interaction.
One of the major areas of my research is on the basic deformation mechanisms in materials, and I have been developing model creep equations to predict the in-service materials’ deformation behavior. In addition, I am interested in the micro mechanisms of macroscopic crack propagation. These studies involve mechanical testing, sub structural studies using electron microscopy and basic deformation model development. One of the research areas underway is the effect of crystallographic texture, stacking-fault energy and crystal structure on the anisotropic mechanical deformation and creep of hexagonal close-packed metals.
Other research areas include in-site NMR studies of the dynamical behavior of point and line defects in materials during deformation, ball indentation for non-destructive evaluation of materials’ condition in-service and mechanical integrity of electronic packaging materials.
Dr. Murty is interested in the deformation, creep, fatigue and fracture behaviors of nuclear core and pressure boundary materials, with particular emphasis on structureproperty relationship and effects of radiation exposure.
- Creep Behavior and Microstructural Evolution of a Fe-20Cr-25Ni (Mass Percent) Austenitic Stainless Steel (Alloy 709) at Elevated Temperatures
- Alomari, A. S., Kumar, N., & Murty, K. L. (2019), METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE, 50A(2), 641–654. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-018-5044-y
- Effects of pulsed laser surface treatments on microstructural characteristics and hardness of CrCoNi medium-entropy alloy
- Chai, L., Xiang, K., Xia, J., Fallah, V., Murty, K. L., Yao, Z., & Gan, B. (2019), PHILOSOPHICAL MAGAZINE. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786435.2019.1649499
- Experimental and theoretical investigation of crystallography and variant selection during massive transformation in Zr alloy
- Wang, J. M., Luan, B. F., Xin, R. L., Xing, Q. F., Murty, K. L., Cayron, C., & Liu, Q. (2019), PHILOSOPHICAL MAGAZINE, 99(10), 1163–1183. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786435.2019.1574408
- Serrated yielding in an advanced stainless steel Fe-25Ni-20Cr (wt%)
- Alomari, A. S., Kumar, N., & Murty, K. L. (2019), MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, 751, 292–302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2019.02.023
- Study of deformation mechanisms in a metastable beta Zr alloy during compression
- Liao, Z., Luan, B., Zhang, X., Xing, Q., Liu, R., Murty, K. L., & Liu, Q. (2019), MATERIALS LETTERS, 237, 172–175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2018.11.043
- The effects of increasing deformation strain on the microstructural evolution of a metastable beta-Zr alloy
- Liao, Z., Luan, B., Zhang, X., Liu, R., Murty, K. L., & Liu, Q. (2019), JOURNAL OF ALLOYS AND COMPOUNDS, 800, 208–218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2019.05.334
- Anisotropic grain growth kinetics in nanocrystalline nickel
- Sarkar, A., & Murty, K. L. (2018), PHILOSOPHICAL MAGAZINE LETTERS, 98(11), 494–501. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500839.2019.1583391
- Effect of initial orientation on dynamic recrystallization of a zirconium alloy during hot deformation
- Zeng, Q., Luan, B., Wang, Y., Zhang, X., Liu, R., Murty, K. L., & Liu, Q. (2018), MATERIALS CHARACTERIZATION, 145, 444–453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2018.09.008
- Formability of a wrought Mg alloy evaluated by impression testing
- Mohamed, W., Gollapudi, S., Charit, I., & Murty, K. L. (2018), Materials Science & Engineering. A, Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructure and Processing, 712, 140–145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2017.11.088
- Nanotwins induced by pulsed laser and their hardening effect in a Zr alloy
- Chai, L. J., Chen, K., Zhi, Y., Murty, K. L., Chen, L. Y., & Yang, Z. N. (2018), Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 748, 163–170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.03.126