Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Joint Faculty Appointment with INL
- Burlington Labs 2142
- View CV
Dr. Lingfeng He earned his B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering from Central South University in 2003, and a Ph.D. in Materials Science from the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2009. He then served as a postdoctoral researcher and assistant scientist at Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison, before joining Idaho National Laboratory (INL) as a staff scientist in 2014. While at INL, he progressed to the position of Distinguished Staff Scientist (Level V) and High-Resolution Materials Characterization Group Lead before joining NC State as an Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering in August 2022.
Currently, Dr. He leads the Materials In eXtremes (MIX) Lab at NC State, where his research focuses on materials behavior in radiation, corrosion, stress, and ultrahigh temperature environments. His main research areas include ceramics and composites, nuclear fuels, structural materials, spent nuclear fuels, nuclear waste forms, synthesis/manufacturing, advanced characterization, radiation effects, molten salt corrosion, oxidation, mechanical properties, and thermal properties.
Dr. He has been involved in numerous research projects, serving as the Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator for 11 Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) projects, 2 Energy Frontier Research Centers (EFRCs), 1 Basic Energy Sciences (BES) Core Program, 1 International Nuclear Energy Research Initiative (I-NERI) project, 1 Nuclear Energy University Program (NEUP) project, 1 Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) project, and 46 Nuclear Science User Facility (NSUF) Rapid Turnaround Experiments, in addition to supporting multiple DOE programs at INL. He is the top collaborator at NSUF.
As a mentor, Dr. He has guided the research of 5 postdoctoral researchers (who are now tenure-track faculty or staff scientists at INL), 4 graduate students (2 of them graduated and became staff scientists at INL), and 7 summer intern students from various universities. He has also published 133 peer-reviewed journal articles, with an H-index of 32 (according to Web of Science), 22 peer-reviewed conference proceedings, 1 book chapter, and holds 5 patents. Additionally, he serves as an ad hoc reviewer for 55 journals and proposals for NEUP, NSUF, SBIR/STTR, and LDRD at INL. He has given 30 invited/plenary talks at conferences, workshops, and university seminars and received the INL Laboratory Director’s 2020 Exceptional Scientific Achievement Award.
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Central South University, China
Dr. He focuses on studying materials behavior in extreme environments, specifically the environmental degradation of materials in nuclear power systems. His research aims to understand how processing and radiation/corrosion environments affect the microstructure, mechanical/thermal properties, and structural integrity/durability of materials and components.
- Intragranular irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking (IASCC) of 316L stainless steel made by laser direct energy deposition additive manufacturing: Delta ferrite-dislocation channel interaction
- Yang, J., Hawkins, L., He, L., Mahmood, S., Song, M., Schulze, K., & Lou, X. (2023), JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MATERIALS, 577. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2023.154305
- STEM/EDS and APT study on the microstructure and microchemistry of neutron irradiated ZIRLOTM
- Yu, Z., Bachhav, M., Teng, F., He, L., Dubey, M., & Couet, A. (2023), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 573, 154139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2022.154139
- Temperature-Dependent Morphological Evolution during Corrosion of the Ni-20Cr Alloy in Molten Salt Revealed by Multiscale Imaging
- Liu, X., Bawane, K., Zheng, X., Ge, M., Halstenberg, P., Maltsev, D. S., … Chen-Wiegart, Y.-chen K. (2023), ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES, 15(10), 13772–13782. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.2c23207
- Transmission electron microscopy investigation of phase transformation and fuel constituent redistribution in neutron irradiated U-10wt.%Zr fuel
- Thomas, J., Liu, X., He, L., Murray, D., Teng, F., Kombaiah, B., … Okuniewski, M. A. (2023), JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MATERIALS, 581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2023.154443
- Void swelling in additively manufactured 316L stainless steel with hafnium composition gradient under self-ion irradiation
- Song, M., Yang, J., Liu, X., Hawkins, L. R., Jiao, Z., He, L., … Lou, X. (2023), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 578, 154351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2023.154351
- A combined theoretical-experimental investigation of thermal transport in low-dose irradiated thorium dioxide
- Deskins, W. R., Khanolkar, A., Mazumder, S., Dennett, C. A., Bawane, K., Hua, Z., … El-Azab, A. (2022), Acta Materialia, 241, 118379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2022.118379
- Assessing the interfacial corrosion mechanism of Inconel 617 in chloride molten salt corrosion using multi-modal advanced characterization techniques
- Copeland-Johnson, T. M., Murray, D. J., Cao, G., & He, L. (2022), Frontiers in Nuclear Engineering, 1. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnuen.2022.1049693
- Chemical and elemental mapping of spent nuclear fuel sections by soft X-ray spectromicroscopy
- Ditter, A. S., Smiles, D. E., Lussier, D., Altman, A. B., Bachhav, M., He, L., … Shuh, D. K. (2022), Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 29(1), 67–79. https://doi.org/10.1107/S1600577521012315
- Compositionally graded specimen made by laser additive manufacturing as a high-throughput method to study radiation damages and irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking
- Yang, J., Hawkins, L., Song, M., He, L., Bachhav, M., Pan, Q., … Lou, X. (2022), Journal of Nuclear Materials, 560, 153493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2021.153493
- Comprehensive characterization of irradiation induced defects in ceria: Impact of point defects on vibrational and optical properties
- Chauhan, V. S., Ferrigno, J., Adnan, S., Pakarinen, J., He, L., Hurley, D. H., & Khafizov, M. (2022), Journal of Applied Physics. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0099189
- Ion Irradiation and Characterization of Spent Nuclear Fuels
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(4/20/23 - 9/30/25)