Research Assistant Professor
Dr. Jason Hou considers himself an advocate of nuclear energy and the mission of his research is to promote nuclear energy by investigating advanced reactor designs and developing improved reactor modeling and simulation methods. In particular, he develops accurate yet efficient numerical models to improve the reactor design in various aspects, including the economics, safety, proliferation resistance and sustainability.
His area of research interest includes multi-physics reactor simulation, advanced reactor design, in-core fuel management and fuel cycle analysis. Presently he performs studies on the sensitivity uncertainty (S/U) analysis in modeling of various reactor systems, improvement of high-fidelity reactor core simulator, hybrid Monte Carlo (MC) and deterministic method for core calculations, and homogenization-free time-dependent neutron transport benchmark. He also serves as the coordinator of the Nuclear Simulation Laboratory of the department.
Pennsylvania State University
University of Michigan
University of Tennessee
Dr. Hou's research interest includes multi-physics reactor simulation, advanced reactor design, in-core fuel management and fuel cycle analysis, uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis in the nuclear system modeling.
- OECD/NEA benchmark for time-dependent neutron transport calculations without spatial homogenization
- Hou, J., Ivanov, K. N., Boyarinov, V. F., & Fomichenko, P. A. (2017), Nuclear Engineering and Design, 317, 177-189.
- 3D In-core fuel management optimization for breed-and-burn reactors
- Hou, J., Qvist, S., Kellogg, R., & Greenspan, E. (2016), Progress in Nuclear Energy, 88, 58-74.
- Development of an iterative diffusion-transport method based on MICROX-2 cross section libraries
- Hou, J., Choi, H., & Ivanov, K. (2015), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 77, 335-342.
- Design and performance of 2D and 3D-shuffled breed-and-burn cores
- Qvist, S., Hou, J., & Greenspan, E. (2015), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 85, 93-114.
- Self-shielding models of MICROX-2 code: Review and updates
- Hou, J., Choi, H., & Ivanov, K. (2014), Annals of Nuclear Energy, 64, 256-263 .
- Assessment of MICROX-2 Code with new ENDF/B-VII.0 master library
- Hou, J., Choi, H., & Ivanov, K. (2014), Nuclear Technology, 186(3), 305-316 .