J. Michael Doster
Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Director of Nuclear Engineering Undergraduate Program, Director of CASL Education Program
- Burlington Laboratory 3146
Dr. Joseph Doster is interested in a variety of reactor and reactor-related heat transfer and fluid flow problems. These range from resolving uncertainties associated with the basic equations and numerical techniques used to describe multiphase flow systems to the use of high fidelity systems simulations to develop advanced control methods for current and next generation reactors. He has looked into a number of numerical stability issues associated with the models and numerics typically used to describe the thermal-hydraulic behavior of nuclear reactor systems. This research has led to the development of analytic stability bounds for the numerical solution of two-phase flow problems in situations where these bounds did not previously exist.
North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University
Dr. Doster is interested in computational thermal hydraulics and reactor-related heat transfer and fluid flow problems. Recent research efforts have focused on the development of methods that allow the direct control of steam generator mass inventory as opposed to current technology that relies on measurements of downcomer level. The approach is to use detailed thermal hydraulic simulations to calculate the time dependent relationship between liquid mass inventory and transient indications of indicated level, feedwater flow, steam flow and steam pressure conditions. It was shown that artificial neural networks could be developed that predict mass inventory with sufficient fidelity to allow for the development of control systems that control steam generator mass directly. This approach effectively eliminates feedwater control problems associated with shrink and swell phenomena.
- Optimization of thermal-hydraulic reactor system for SMRs via data assimilation and uncertainty quantification
- Heo, J., Turinsky, P. J., & Doster, J. M. (2013), Nuclear Science and Engineering, 173(3), 293-311.
- Reactor loose part damage assessments on steam generator tube sheets
- Proctor, W. C., & Doster, J. M. (2012), Nuclear Technology, 179(3), 339-359.
- Application of a neural network based feedwater controller to helical steam generators
- Shen, H. L., & Doster, J. M. (2009), Nuclear Engineering and Design, 239(6), 1056-1065.
- Steam generator control in nuclear power plants by water mass inventory
- Dong, W., Doster, J. M., & Mayo, C. W. (2008), Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238(4), 859-871.
- A wide-beam X-ray source suitable for diffraction enhanced imaging applications
- Kim, C. H., Bourham, M. A., & Doster, J. M. (2006), Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research. Section A, Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors, and Associated Equipment, 566(2), 713-721.
- Semi-analytical modelling and simulation of the evolution and flow of ohmically-heated non-ideal plasmas in electrothermal guns
- Zaghloul, M. R., Bourham, M. A., & Doster, J. M. (2001), Journal of Physics. D, Applied Physics, 34(5), 772-786.
- A simple formulation and solution strategy of the Saha equation for ideal and nonideal plasmas
- Zaghloul, M. R., Bourham, M. A., & Doster, J. M. (2000), Journal of Physics. D, Applied Physics, 33(8), 977-984.
- Energy-averaged electron-ion momentum transport cross section in the Born approximation and Debye-Huckel potential: Comparison with the cut-off theory
- Zaghloul, M. R., Bourham, M. A., & Doster, J. M. (2000), Physics Letters. A, 268(4-6), 375-381.
- Numerical simulation of accumulated steam generator tube sheet damage and loose part impact distributions
- Shi, L., Doster, J. M., & Mayo, C. W. (2000), Nuclear Technology, 129(3), 338-355.
- On the average electron-ion momentum transport cross-section in ideal and non-ideal plasmas
- Zaghloul, M. R., Bourham, M. A., Doster, J. M., & Powell, J. D. (1999), Physics Letters. A, 262(1), 86-89.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Nuclear Education Program Scholarship Proposal
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission(7/01/16 - 6/30/18)
- NUC Contract Proposal for FY 15 (2014-2015). Formerly ACE - Academic Center for Excellence
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/15/14 - 9/30/18)
- Hybrid Nuclear Systems LDRD and NUC Projects
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(1/06/15 - 9/30/17)
- Characterization of Severe Accidents in a Small Modular Reactor
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(11/01/13 - 7/31/17)
- Integration of a Fortran-based, Dynamic Small Modular Reactor Model with the Nuclear Hybrid Energy System Model in the Modelica Environment
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(6/06/13 - 9/30/13)
- SMR Model Development
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(6/06/12 - 9/30/12)
- Thermal-Hydraulic Modeling of Recirculation Water Targets for the Cyclotron Production of F-18
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)(1/01/12 - 6/30/13)
- Error and Uncertainty Quantification of Multiphase Flow Models
- Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC(7/22/10 - 9/30/10)
- Consortium for Advanced Simulations for Light Water Reactors (CASL) - Oak Ridge National laboratory
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(11/30/-1 - 9/30/19)
- Nuclear Energy University Programs - Fellowship and Scholarship Support North Carolina State University
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(7/01/09 - 6/30/22)