Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Director of College of Engineering Master of Engineering Program
Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Burlington Laboratory 1122
- Visit My Website
Dr. Mohamed Bourham’s interests are in Plasma-matter interaction, plasma propulsion and thrusters, fusion engineering, plasma surface modification, particle accelerators and electron beam irradiation systems, x-ray sources for medical and screening imaging, materials synthesis and coatings, shielding and radiation attenuation studies, nuclear and mixed waste disposal, drycasks and high-level waste packaging studies. In plasma matter-interaction it is from interaction with solids to liquids to energetic combustible materials to fabrics and micro-organisms. He is also interested in studies related to the use of electrothermal plasma launchers for hypervelocity applications and the acceleration of fuel pellets to velocities sufficient for the fusion fueling process with high repetition rates.
He also has research on atmospheric pressure plasma surface modification and functionalization with textile materials to provide enhanced properties such as sterilization, anti-microbial and insect repelling textiles.
Another research area is nuclear and mixed waste disposal and the studies to enhance performance of shielding of drycasks and waste packages. He works in the areas of experimental and computational high heat flux irradiation of materials, gamma ray and neutron attenuation in structure materials, radiation shielding in concretes, studies on multi-layered coatings and corrosion barriers for high level waste packages, and research on evaluation of materials’ corrosion using electrochemical techniques of cyclic potentiodynamic polarization.
Electrical Engineering-Plasma Physics
Ain Shams University
Electrical Engineering-Plasma Physics
Dr. Bourham's interests are in various areas with research diversity. Area of plasma science: he has interest in plasma-matter interactions, from interaction with solids to liquids to energetic combustible materials to fabrics and micro-organisms; and electrothermal plasmas for propulsion, thrusters and pellet injectors for fusion fueling. Area of materials synthesis and coatings: shielding and radiation attenuation studies, nuclear and mixed waste disposal, drycasks and high-level waste packaging, and evaluation of materials’ corrosion using electrochemical techniques.
- Investigation of barium borate glasses for radiation shielding applications
- Al-Buriahi, M. S., Sriwunkum, C., Arslan, H., Tonguc, B. T., & Bourham, M. A. (2020), APPLIED PHYSICS A-MATERIALS SCIENCE & PROCESSING, 126(1). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-019-3254-9
- Simulation of Erosion and Redeposition of Plasma Facing Materials Under Transient Plasma Instabilities
- Almousa, N. M., & Bourham, M. (2020), IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON PLASMA SCIENCE, 48(6), 1512–1518. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2020.2963844
- Borate multicomponent of bismuth rich glasses for gamma radiation shielding application
- Sayyed, M., Kaky, K. M., Mhareb, M. H. A., Abdalsalam, A. H., Almousa, N., Shkoukani, G., & Bourham, M. A. (2019), RADIATION PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY, 161, 77–82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2019.04.005
- Erosion characterization of SiC and Ti3SiC2 on DIII-D using focused ion beam micro-trenches
- Coburn, J., Unterberg, E., Barton, J., Rudakov, D., Bykov, I., Parish, C. M., … Bourham, M. (2019), NUCLEAR MATERIALS AND ENERGY, 19, 316–323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nme.2019.02.036
- Performance of Capillary Plasma Source With Combustible Materials
- Almousa, N. M., & Bourham, M. (2019), IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON PLASMA SCIENCE, 47(11), 4873–4878. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2019.2940429
- Surface Erosion of Plasma-Facing Materials Using an Electrothermal Plasma Source and Ion Beam Micro-Trenches
- Coburn, J. D., Gebhart, T. E., Parish, C. M., Unterberg, E., Canik, J., Barsoum, M. W., & Bourham, M. (2019), FUSION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 75(7), 621–635. https://doi.org/10.1080/15361055.2019.1623570
- Desizing of PVA sized pet/cotton fabrics with atmospheric pressure plasma
- Cornelius, C., McCord, M., Bourham, M., & Hauser, P. (2018), Cellulose, 25(1), 869–881. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10570-017-1586-1
- Effect of Dimensional Changes on Plasma Characteristics in Electrothermal Capillary Discharges for Optimized Performance in Fusion Pellet Injection
- Abd Al-Halim, M. A., & Bourham, M. A. (2018), PLASMA PHYSICS REPORTS, 44(9), 870–877. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063780X18090015
- Generation of noble and refractory metals plasma jets by electrothermal discharge for surface deposition applications
- Abdel-kader, M. E., Abd Al-Halim, M. A., & Bourham, M. A. (2018), IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 46(6), 2099–2107. https://doi.org/10.1109/tps.2018.2829108
- Shielding properties of glasses with different heavy elements additives for radiation shielding in the energy range 15-300 keV
- Waly, E.-S. A., Al-Qous, G. S., & Bourham, M. A. (2018), RADIATION PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY, 150, 120–124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2018.04.029