Pre-College Students & Educators
Young Investigators’ Summer Program in Nuclear Engineering
Is a residential academic experience that engages participants in the role that nuclear technologies play in meeting the needs of society and solving everyday problems.
- Open to high school rising juniors, rising seniors & graduating seniors
- Participate in lectures, labs, small group projects & industrial field trips
- Topics include nuclear energy, radiation detection & applications, computational science, nuclear materials, nuclear nonproliferation, nuclear waste management, policy etc.
- July 9-27, 2018 (check-in on July 8)
- Deadline: April 1 annually
- All inclusive (room, meals, activities). Partial tuition scholarships available.
- Additional information & application, click here.
High School Science Class Departmental Visits
is anopportunity to visit NC State’s Department of Nuclear Engineering. Hear about classes, research, nuclear careers, tour lab(s) including our PULSTAR research reactor.
Are day-long Saturday events to introduce nuclear science and technologies. Occurs during the academic semesters. Dates for each event announced at start of fall semester.
Science Teachers’ Workshop in Nuclear Engineering
Is a two-day workshop for science teachers (e.g. physics, chemistry, biology, environmental science) on nuclear science & technology topics. Includes visit to PULSTAR research reactor, hands-on lab and nuclear engineering education/career review. Research topic alternates each summer workshop. Past topics included fission reactor engineering, radiation detection & shielding, plasma science and engineering & fusion energy.
Second day involves a visit to an industrial nuclear facility such as Duke Energy’s Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant or GE-Hitachi’s Nuclear Fuel Fabrication Facility.
- Each July, additional information & application forthcoming
- 2.0 CEU credits provided
Our Nuclear World” Educator Workshops
1.5 to 2.0 hour long workshops on nuclear science and technology.
- NC Science Teachers’ Professional Development Institute
- National Science Teachers’ Association (NSTA) Conferences on Science Education
- Participation in NC STEM Educator Workshops/Conferences